Pages

Monday, March 20, 2023

Happy Spring! Slow Stitching

 It has finally arrived, the 1st day of Spring!

The weather has cooled finally after the first weeks of March unseasonably hot with temps in the high 80's and 90's.  Then a few days of much needed rain and spring broke with the sunshine, birds singing and the Mexican petunias blooming.
On St. Patrick's day I came home from running errands to find a rare yellow cardinal at the bird feeder.
I was trying to get my phone out of my purse to snap a photo of him standing facing me but when I finally had the camera on him he chose that time to grab a seed.  My photo isn't the best, but believe me this will be a memory I will cherish forever.  I have seen several posting of the yellow cardinals and thought I would never see one in person. Talk about the luck of the Irish.  I baked my usual Irish Soda bread the night before, then yesterday morning I had a rough start, my eyes weren't even fully open when Simon decided to attempt to climb the drapes in the living room.  So early in the morning was me on the step ladder with drill in hand putting back the bracket to hold the rod.  Life with a cat is surely not dull.
After hanging the drapes back up I was able to sit down with a cup of coffee and a slice of soda bread, please note the bread in the photo is not the slice but the loaf before cutting off a slice.

On Saturday week 2 of the Lolli and Grace SAL began, we are stitching the second spoke in the Kaleidoscope, the Red spoke, while I was stitching I noticed the red looks more like pink and the 1st spoke which was pink looks more Red.  I went back over the supply list and instructions and I have it right, week 2 I am using the DMC 4200 (wild fire). Week 1 was to use DMC 4210 Radiant Ruby.
When I look at them side by side the color I am using now looks more pink than red. Watching the video tutorial Anne's look red than pink as well.  She is using Threadworks for the 1st spoke and  Cosmo floss for the other spokes.  I am using the DMC suggested colors because that is what I have in my stash and personally I have found Cosmo floss always knots and tangles on me.
I did make a change is the first spoke, I used the reverse chain stitch for the spoke outline, I tried to do the heavy chain for part of the outline but after taking it out twice because it just look messy I went with the reverse chain.  I am happy with the outcome.
I finished the first spoke and the triangle on Saturday morning and started the 2nd spoke Sunday evening.  I love this pattern and the tutorials on Youtube are wonderful as you stitch along with Anne.
Here is the link if you want to join in the fun.

The Stitchdoodles SAL I am behind on but confident I will finish.  I don't usually stitch sampler style pieces but the pattern caught my eye so I decided I wanted to do this.
This is my start on the first week of Winterberry Cottage, the SAL is actually on week 5, like I said I am behind.  Here is the link if you are interested in joining the SAL. 
https://www.stitchdoodles.com/winterberry-cottage-sal/

I didn't snap a knew photo but the windows are all stitched.  I am linking my post to Kathy's Quilts here

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I absolutely love your stich a longs and have been eyeing the Lolli and Grace website. Decisions, decisions. I think Covid has been an impetus for handwork as well as we all have hunkered down away from others. And it is a great start for small projects and learning something. I remember having my grandmother teach me to embroider. But I really admire your work and am so pleased you have shared it with the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by my blog, the video tutorials by Lolli & Grace are quite easy.

      Delete
  2. Hi Deborah, thanks so much for sharing your Lolli and Grace SAL. I just bought the "Kaleidoscope" pattern. It's so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by my blog, I hope you enjoy the stitching the Kaleidoscope pattern.

      Delete