Pages

Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Another Health Update

 

So what I thought was going to be a routine visit with my Cardiologist turned into me leaving with an attached heart monitor and the diagnosis of Atrial Fibrillation or Afib for short. I was surprised until I learned that I had all of the symptoms of Afib I experienced all Spring and Summer long were not from a long bout of bronchitis my GP prescribed antibiotics for which did not do much for the condition.

These are the Symptoms and Yes I have them all, (except for the chest pain which just began about 2 weeks ago, not as pain but as a nagging ache or a pinching twinge) just about every day since May.

Feelings of a fast, fluttering or pounding heartbeat, called palpitations. Which I thought was just the short of breath that usually comes with bronchitis.

  • Chest pain.

  • Dizziness.

  • Fatigue.

  • Lightheadedness.

  • Reduced ability to exercise.

  • Shortness of breath.

  • Weakness.

So now I am prescribed another high dollar medication to deal with the problem and to prevent blood clots and possible Stroke. Give me a break $753.95 for a 30 day supply of medication is criminal. Fortunately the Pharmacist was able to get a coupon so my first 30 days doesn’t cost me anything. I will speak to my cardiologist on the 1th when I get the results of the monitor and request an affordable blood thinner from few he named, at least one under $500.00. On the up side I can stop taking the low dose aspirin (I am laughing here cause I pay about 10 bucks for 1000 of those).

I have to admit when my GP prescribed the antibiotics over the phone rather than have me come into the office, I took them thinking it will help, after all I come down with long bouts of bronchitis just about every year.

As a Cardiac patient when the symptoms still bothered me weeks after the antibiotics were finished I should have called my cardiologist to check things out. Funny thing is today I was going to ask him about all those symptoms to see if they may be heart related. He already had the answer.

I’m a bit relieved and quite irritated with myself for ignoring what was so obvious. I did get a list of GP’s that I will call to establish as a new patient.

For the next 2 weeks I will be attached to this little heart monitor to gather information on just how things are going.

With the Gyn appointment and biopsies yesterday and this today do I dare ask what else can go wrong?


No comments:

Post a Comment