Pages

Sunday, January 11, 2015

First 5 stitches for SAL and thrifty finds

Just a quick post to show off my first week of stitches for the Joyful Embellishments stitch a long.
I am so glad I decided to participate, after seeing all the wonderful stitchery from other members I had my doubts at my own ability because it has been so long since I have done serious embroidery, and my stitches are still quite wobbly, but then I thought, so what this is what you need: practice and learn.
I don't recall doing a feather stitch until this past week and now its quickly becoming a favorite.

Last Wednesday I made my first visit of the year to one of my favorite thrift shops and was not disappointed, in fact I was overjoyed with my finds most of which will be used for crafty projects most notably the crazy quilt.
velvet ribbon
lace and buttons
lace trim
more lace
still more lace
ribbon
There are yards and yards of the lace trims in the photos plus others I haven't snap picture of yet, the velvet ribbons are full or nearly. The button covers were a sweet find as were a few cards of buttons.
All of this is from one shop the staff had just put it out and I paid under $5.00 but the best find was free this full length beaded dress which I plan to take apart.
front close up
back close up
The dress is silk with a polyester lining, I haven't decided if I will just remove the beads of cut out some of the bead work. Just for the heck of it I weighed the dress its a little over 2.5 pounds.
that's a lot of beadwork
upper half
beaded work some one cut off the dress, this will save me some work
beaded pieces
the bottom piece is I think is hand made lace, very delicate and there is over 10 yards of it I'll press it and wrap it on acid free paper.
I returned to the shop on Thursday and will post those items soon.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful stitching Deb. I like the background fabric you used.
    Have a wonderful Sunday.
    Blessings,
    Bobbie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh yes Thanks to your post I too have joined in on the facebook group :) I want to learn something new and this seems ideal! Thank you for sharing it!!
    Your doing great... really good :)
    Oooh your new stash items I wonderful...
    Happy stitching :)
    Smiles :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, glad you joined I look forward to seeing your stitches in the group. Happy New Year

      Delete
    2. Thank you Deb... in the group I am Dora France! Its my family nick name I use on FB! :)
      Happy New Year to you too :)
      Smiles :)

      Delete
    3. Jacquie your stitching album on Facebook is beautiful, I go by Spell Vault on FB

      Delete