Pages

Saturday, January 9, 2016

Starting the New Year off with a Quilt Project or Two

In an earlier post I mention this year I am continuing on with my goal to do more creative things so one of the first things I did was sign up to take part in Project 48 Quilt, you can follow the link to see the details here: http://www.project48quilt.com/welcome-to-project-48/

This will be my first attempt at following a blog to make a quilt and I think it will be quite interesting to see how well I do.  My first thought was to hand piece the blocks but I'm afraid I will fall behind because for me just cutting strips and peces is a challenge, I am still stuck in the trace around a template mindset so this is going to be a good learning experience for me. Our first block for Project 48 is the Churn Dash block these are the colors I will use for my first block. 
In keeping with another goal for the new year I plan to use mostly scraps and fabric on hand from my stash and wouldn't you know it in the mail yesterday arrived a box full of fabric scraps from a friend mostly all 1930's reproduction fabrics left over from her massive apron project.
Tucked beneath all those lovely cuts of cloth were packs and packs of charm squares 
which I am sure will be put to good use over time.  My friend doesn't make quilts she sews clothing and other crafty items and like many of us can't resist the charm packs which she uses a few squares for a pocket or other element on a project she makes. 

Yesterday morning I shipped her a box of yarns, silk and lace from long forgotten projects I lost interest in so you can imagine my surprise to get this in the mail, I thought it was my package coming back for some reason.  

To feed my need for a hand pieced quilt I'm going to try the Farmer's Wife quilt. Looking at the accompanying CD I can print the pattern templates and trace each piece as I go.  
Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to go in order or work the simplest blocks first I'll figure it out, I do know I want to have 5 or 10 blocks cut and ready to sew. 

UP DATE
Block one is complete, I'm not happy with the overall look, the center piece is just not working for me I should have used the same piece as the purple triangle. 
Now I will try another block one, this time hand pieced using a different colorway.

No comments:

Post a Comment