Pages

Friday, September 8, 2017

While waiting out Hurricane Irma

It's hurricane season here in Florida and once again we are waiting for the storm to arrive, this one is a big one. After making donations to Texas we find ourselves facing the devastation that follows a storm such as Irma.

While waiting out the storm let me tell you what I have been up last weekend I visited my little sister to help celebrate her 55th birthday, we had a great visit and her husband grilled steaks and corn on the cob for dinner, my brother in law is a great cook and dinner was excellent as was the company and conversation.

My sister, Tessa and James
Tessa my great-niece insisted we all wear the party hats and how can you say no to such a cutie.  The cake was quite good unfortunately while clearing the table the remainder of the cake fell off the tray and hit the floor.
Also last week I found one of the Ocala Rocks painted stones in front of the post office I go to every day.

I had just finished reading an article a few days prior to finding the stone so when I saw it I knew exactly what it was, I brought it home to snap a few photos I plan to leave it at a local park next week after the storm.  I'm also planning to paint a few of my own stones to leave around the area.

I picked up some pretty sunflowers with all the rain and cloudy skies we are having I thought they would perk up the day, I love sunflowers next year I am going to try to grow them again.
I purchased the lovely quilted pot holder from Maria an artist over at Full Moon Fiber Art blog http://www.fullmoonfiberart.com  I have it hanging above  my desk so I can see it while I type.

I just love the yellow beet in the center and the vintage fabrics used for the potholder.  I came across her blog a few weeks ago she makes some unique quilts and other items you may want to check out for yourself the link is above. 
I picked up two library books that were waiting for me on Tuesday morning both are non-fiction which is always a nice change from fiction.
I finished The Garden of New Beginnings by Abbi Waxman, it was one of those books that had me turning page after page to finish it definitely a good read.

I have the newest hand embroidery pattern on the light box ready to be traced onto my fabric, I have
not done much stitching over the last few weeks just giving my fingers tome to rest while I catch up on some letter writing and reading.  My hands have been tingling and losing feeling quite a bit so I'm doing my finger exercise and massaging my hands though I think with all the humidity and rain my fingers ache to the bone.

One of the last things to post about is the growth on one of my succulent plants Echeveria  has bloomed quite nicely.
This is the first time in decades I have had luck with succulent plants, I suspect it's because I have it outside.  I was supposed to replant into a terra cotta bowl but I think I'm going to plant them in a tea cup or other ceramic pot.
The rain has wrecked havoc with my other potted plants, the weeds in and around the pots are out of control.
Right now I have all the pots moved to the front of my garage hoping not to lose them during the hurricane winds over the weekend, I'm also hoping the weather will start to cool off so I can get some much needed shrub trimming done in the next week.

Well that's all for now, if you are in the path of the hurricane stay safe and keep dry.



5 comments:

  1. I hope you stay safe from Irma. I think those pots need to go into the garage. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I am going to move the plants into the garage tomorrow afternoon.

      Delete
  2. Stay safe we are praying for you all in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending you safe wishes! I also hope your hands feel better. (I have had the same issues, but found they only flare up when holding a hoop to stitch. Using my lap frame has helped tremendously.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb: I hope you are safe, I hope you had no damage.

    Blessings
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete