Pages

Wednesday, August 8, 2018

A Rough and Rocky Start to August

Well began a bit rough and rocky with my car still in the shop for repairs, I dropped it off on July 26th where it was going to be put on the lift and looked at with the knowledge the work wouldn't begin until the 31st, which didn't happen because they were busy at the shop so I was told work would begin on the 2nd, it didn't and the excuse was they sent the wrong part  so work would begin when the part arrived and I should have the car Friday evening or Monday.  NOPE still working with the hope it would be ready yesterday but there was another problem so did I want to have it done I wouldn't be charge labor only for the part.  So its there and I said okay as long as it won't take a week.

All this reminded me of why I stopped using this shop for auto repairs, unfortunately my regular mechanic is undergoing treatment for leukemia and isn't always available and he didn't want to take on the repair because my car the transmission has to be removed to get to the engine, long story short about  a 10 hour job.   The current shop where the work is being done has one mechanic the owner and 1 employee that doesn't do the repair job my car needed.  Leaky oil pan, gaskets etc.  a common problem apparently on the 2006 Cadillac.   Well received a call last night the  major work is done was just waiting on something for the oil filter and I should have it today,  I am not optimistic and figure tomorrow, which will be two weeks, what I find irritating is he suspected such a long delay I would have like to know so I could have arrange to rent a car, the first week I didn't care because I was still not feeling 100%.  grrrrrr!  That's how August began here.

On the up side I feel better, no more fever, nausea gone after a nasty stomach ache all last weekend.  And for the most part the cough is gone.  House hunting is underway and we found two that have the space we need, both still in Ocala.  This week we had to Orlando area to look at a few.  Though we get more house for our dollars here so that will be a determining factor.

The one house that we are considering has the size I need, a lovely entrance with wrought iron gates which I love and this a little perk in the guise of a pool.
I finished the hand embroidery on the piece for the Stitch at Home Challenge I call it Herbal Tea and will use it as a banner in my herb garden
My inspiration for this piece is my love of brewing blossom tea in clear tea pots, always a hit at my tea parties.
The theme for the challenge is Burlesque which translates to an absurd or comically exaggerated imitation of something and not the fans and feather boas.  Anyway I finished well before the deadline of the 15th, to my great surprise the Kreinik threads didn't unravel or run when I washed it.

The Granny afghan I crocheted for Tessa I finished last night so I will be starting another crochet project today
Granny Afghan
 I used Lion Brand's Mandala yarn in the colorway Wood Nymph, Tessa loves pink and purple.  I have become somewhat addicted to this yarn and how it flows from one color to the next.  I let the colors flow for this, I admire people that cut off to control the color flow but for me the purpose of the yarn is to just let it flow.
spirit
The next project is an afghan for my sister in the Spirit colorway and then I have another project in mind and I am going to combine Troll and Unicorn Cloud as they have some of the same colors or nearly the same, I will alternate cakes.
troll and unicorn cloud
Yesterday I was at Walmart and found some new baby yarn colors so I tossed them in my cart 6 Magic Moon, 3 each of Wishing Well and Echo Caves which I had planned to combine and while I was shopping I was so overcome by an odor that I had to abandon my cart and leave the store.  My inhaler wouldn't respond and I just couldn't get a breath. I think it was detergent or a similar heavily scented item.  This happens sometimes when I visit Bed Bath and Beyond in the Villages and the scented products are so strong I often walk in the door take a few steps and have to leave.  Some scented products set off my allergies, just had to stop using a deodorant because it kept making my eyes itch and run at first I thought it was the detergent maybe I had bought a scented version, but after a shower this week and dressing I could smell the scent my eyes began to tear up and I knew.  Luckily I had a backup.

 I'll plan to go back today to see if the yarn is still on the shelf, it sells out fast and the baby yarn is new.  So while the month began rough and rocky it's turning out pretty good.

Now on to books this week I am reading A Secret History of Witches by Louisa Morgan, I don't know about you but I tend to have themes, the repeated patterns, that keep coming up in my reading  for me it's witches. I just love witches who wave wands, I love witches who brew potions, I love witches who heal well you get it.  What is your repeated theme in books you read.   I am linking this post here https://www.gsheller.com/2018/08/yarn-along-august.html  for the August yarn along, click the link to see what other bloggers are reading and knitting or crocheting this month.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I just hate car troubles and finding a good garage is not easy. I have to be careful and avoid the detergent aisle at Walmart...the smells there are overpowering, so I have a little idea of your troubles. But yes, you must try to get that yarn; if your Walmarts are like ours, the wool sells out very fast and then is ages getting replaced. Lovely crocheting!

    ReplyDelete