Pages

Friday, March 1, 2024

Welcome March with Some Slow Stitching and Tea Dyeing

 

March arrived this morning warm and cloudy with a chance of rain coming later in the day.  I have been stitching along with K3n.clothtales and this is week 9: wonky 9 patch applique.

Week 8 was Pojagi aka Bojagi style, prompt was Both Sides now.  In traditional Pojagi the piece is the same on both sides. This one was a bit of a struggle for me and a few others because we couldn't get the double stitched seams on the same side.

Week 7 was a stitched heart, I can't recall the prompt word but the heart turned out lovely.
Some time this week I will start the Woven Wreaths March block of the Kathy Schmitz SAL, I watched the video this morning while drinking a cup of coffee but my eyes were not ready to stitch.

I have been doing some tea dyeing using spent teabags and tea balls from the cups of tea I drink during the day.  
I drop the spent teabags into a jar with some hot water and add scraps of fabric. The results have been quite pleasing. The top of the photo is before I dropped into the jar and the bottom piece are after.
I placed the fabrics into the jar dry, the next time I went the cloth and tied off in two places.  I  love the results.


I haven't taken a photo of the piece dry yet but I do love the look of the piece.  Last night I decided to try red hibiscus tea.
This time I used 2 fresh hibiscus teabags and pulled out some vintage floss from 1973, a white and an ecru and a piece of old white cotton muslin about 20 years old.  I wet everything, tied the fabric in 2 places and bundled the floss.



I will leave it until Saturday or Sunday.  This is a small jar, just right for small scraps for slow stitching and other projects.  I don't use any mordant and the color holds well.

I want to try Solar Jar dyeing in a few weeks.










No comments:

Post a Comment