Pages

Sunday, January 1, 2017

Happy New Year a few new goals and Slow Sunday Stitching

A Happy New Year to Everyone!

We are starting a whole new year today, a blank page to be filled in as you choose. If you have followed my blog over the years you know I don't make New Year resolutions to me it's like setting myself up for failure or at least disappointment.  I set for my set goals I want to achieve for the year ahead.  Most of the time these work out well and I achieve most of my goals which gives me a small sense of accomplishment.  Not so in 2016 which started out strong and then by mid February fizzled into a train wreck that seemed to be endless. Not this year I tell myself, but we all know how life tosses in a few curve balls when we don't expect it.

Never one to give up I have a few goals for the New Year, the first and foremost is to regain my health and physical fitness, I smile wryly while I type this because I am on day 4 of a Z pack for bronchitis which started as a sore throat a few days before Christmas than by mid week that deep cough that plagues me worsened, but this time I didn't wait weeks for "my cold"  to go away, by day 3 of the heavy cough and slight fever I called the doctor.  I'm happy to say I am feeling so much better than I did a few days ago.

I will continue to pursue my love of hand embroidery which gives me such a sense of peace and calm I feel as if I've spent the time meditating.  I'm happy to say I spent the last evening of December putting in the final hand embroidery stitches in the last block, number 12 for Hocuspocusville Quilt.
 I will work on putting the quilt top together some time this year but for now I want to move on to another project. Today I will link up over at Kathy's Quilts blog for Slow Sunday Stitching here:
https://kathysquilts.blogspot.ca/2017/01/happy-new-year-at-slow-sunday-stitching.html  and on Monday be sure to check out http://www.supermomnocape.com/vintage-embroidery-monday-stitchery-link-party-91/

Later today I will begin working on the 1 Year of Stitches:2017 hand embroidery project, where you simply make at least one stitch every day.   If you are interested in joining or just curious to see what its all about here is a link http://www.brwnpaperbag.com/1-year-of-stitches-2017

So yes 2017 is going to be focused mainly on getting better control of my health, getting back to increasing my level of physical activity for a more fit and hence a healthier body. But I have other plans for 2017 too, continue with my needle arts, travel more outside of Florida and take long weekends for me time.

A few other goals I have:

Purge more stuff I haven't used in the last six months,  I have been doing this for a few years now, I feel if I haven't used by now I probably won't. As I've grown older I have learned I need less stuff.

Continue on from last year: each month locate one new trail in a state park, preserve, conservation area in Florida hike it.

Read at least 5 new to me authors. 


Travel throughout Florida to visit the downtown square or main streets in small towns and cities, browse the shops and art galleries. This is another continuation from last year which I enjoyed so much I intend to do it more often,

Well that's a few of the goals I have set for 2017 I'm sure as the year passes I will have found a few more things I would like to achieve.  I didn't plan anything for the garden this year that will come as time and health allows, I have faced disappointment too often with the garden to want to even think of it as a goal. One thing I will say is it will do better than last year, even if I can only spend 15 minutes pulling out weeds,

I wish you all a wonderful 2017.

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing the Hocuspocusville embroidery. One of my goals this year is to put together my Hocuspocusville top too. I wish you quick healing and a wonderful new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on completing all twelve embroideries! Hope your continue to feel better also and I too am joining you on the 1 year of stitches. Should be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year Deb: I hope you heal super fast.
    I love embroidery work, I have done loads in the past, I should pick that art up again.
    Good luck on the year of stitching.

    Blessings
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year! I do hope you feel better soon. That crud is hitting hard everywhere.

    Your Hocuspocusville block is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... you finished stitching all the hocus pocus blocks... well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year Deb! Good for you for a finish on New Year's Eve. Love those Hocus Pocus blocks! If I didn't already have so many projects in the works, I'd be tempted to have a got at them. :)

    Like you, I find hand embroidery to be an almost zen experience. I find it calming and relaxing.

    Thanks so much for linking up to last week's Stitchery Link Party and for the link back. Aloha hugs!

    ReplyDelete