Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

What I am stitching this week.

Yesterday I was busy with Summer Solstice activities that I forgot all about posting my entry for the 13 Goddesses challenge found here:
 https://timelessrituals.blogspot.com/2016/06/13-goddesses-challenge-week-4-semitic.html
I have once again moved away from the suggested prompts for this week my muse wanted to go in this direction so I have chosen the Mother Goddess as my choice using a very simple drawing to portray her. (No she isn't the one I posted the other day).
The Great Mother Goddess  was considered a life-giving, creative, wise and protective Goddess who shaped the Earth, provided us with abundant food and gave birth to all things.  Around the world, the Goddess was called by countless names – Isis, Sarasvati, Venus, Athena, Inanna, Pele, Changing Woman, Corn Maiden, Pachamama, Ostara, Baba Yaga.  Her titles included Queen of Heaven, Mistress of the Animals, Our Lady, Holy Mother and Mother of God. She was celebrated as Queen Bee, Lioness, Swan and Owl; Wheat and Rice; Sun, Moon and Morning Star.
She was honored at sacred rivers, holy wells, mountains and deep within caves.  Her festivals were marked by the turning of the seasons.  Equinox.  Solstice.  Planting.  Harvest.  First snows.  First fruits and flowers.
 
Women held prominent roles in ancient society. Seen as the embodiment of the Goddess, women were honored as Priestess, Queen, Judge, Midwife, Medicine Woman and Warriors. Our crafts were held sacred and our work was highly regarded. Women created weaving, pottery, poetry, cave art and metalwork. Women preserved and prepared food as well as healing herbs, incense and perfumed oils.

Today our soul’s yearn to express and to be creative. The things we make with our own hands are sacred and vibrate with our personal energy.  Our creativity is needed. Our art is important. Every other part of life is healthier when our own creative life is fertile.

I'll share a favorite quote:  "To sew is to pray. Men don't understand this. They see the whole but they don't see the stitches. They don't see the speech of the creator in the work of the needle. We mend. We women turn things inside out and set things right. We salvage what we can of human garments and piece the rest into blankets. Sometimes our stitches stutter and slow. Only a woman's eyes can tell. Other times, the tension in the stitches might be too tight because of tears, but only we know what emotion went into the making. Only women can hear the prayer." ~ LOUISE ERDRICH, Four Souls

Moving on this week I finished block number seven and will begin number 8 for the Hocuspocusville Quilt, I have more blocks completed now than I have to complete and that gives me such a great
block 8
 feeling of accomplishment.  At times these blocks have been a real challenge on my physically with the bad circulation I have in my hands and fingers some days I just can't put in a single stitch and other days I sail right through, I take advantage of those days.  I will post at Supermom No Cape a day late for the linky party but I'll be there stop on over to see what other bloggers are working on this week.
http://www.supermomnocape.com/2016/06/20/vintage-embroidery-monday-stitchery-link-party-63/

This week will be a sit and wait week, today I am waiting for air conditioning service tech to come out, last week the AC fizzled out so after the repairs I set an appointment for maintenance,  tomorrow my car needs to have the oil changed and I have various other services I will be waiting to have done. It will be a great time to write a few letters, catch up on reading and put in a few more stitches in one of my projects.  I have two more goddesses in the works, my muse is working overtime this month and I get more ideas than I can sketch or note. 

3 comments:

  1. Glad your muse is helping out this month and I hope your fingers allow you to work on block 8. It looks like a fun, although very detailed, one. Thanks for all the interesting info too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing the Louise Erdich quote - beautiful. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The things we make with our own hands are sacred and vibrate with our personal energy".
    This says it all. :)
    Thank you for sharing your powerful Mother! <3

    ReplyDelete