Pages

Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Some Stitching, New Buttons and Two New Challenge Projects

Tomorrow at 2:00 p.m. we have the house closing, it was moved up two days early so I have been busy getting my ducks in a row and looking for kitchen appliances and found them on sale until early June.
We had a long hot weekend, yesterday evening we did get some much needed rain which I listened to while I did some stitching to unwind after a busy day.  I put aside the Celtic Cross for now I'm just working on some less detailed pieces when I have some downtime.
This is a new piece for the drum and dance series I am doing.  A while back I purchased several crystal grids this one is the Flower of Life grid. Then simply added the drumming woman on top of the grid scanned it and printed it onto Stick and Wash product.  The photo is a bit blurry.

On Saturday the Theodora Cleave buttons I ordered arrived, I just love them and can't wait to be moved so I can get on with some projects I have in mind.
The designer Barb Smith creates such wonderful buttons, about 10 years ago I came across her hand embroidery patterns back then as The Woodcutter's Daughter, I still have the patterns and once I move I plan to stitch some up.  Here is a closer look and the large button, I guess I should have taken them out of the package before snapping the picture.
These are the other two buttons
The buttons can be found here https://www.theodoracleave.com/

There are two Needlework Projects I am taking part in over the next few weeks I thought I would share the website info if you are looking for some interesting needlework projects too.

The San Francisco School of Needlework and Design's newest stitch at home challenge is underway, the theme is Talismans here is a link for information:
https://www.sfneedleworkanddesign.org/rules-and-entry-form/

The deadline to submit is August 15, 2019  which gives me plenty of time after I move to make the deadline, I have drafted a few designs now I just need to get moved so I can begin working on it.

There is also an interesting on-going project by Paula MacGregor called Dangerous Pockets Project which I'll be taking part in, though it's been put aside for a bit while I move. For information check out the link here:
http://www.paulamacgregor.com/dangerous-pockets-project.html

And the Facebook pages can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/DangerousPocketsProject/

Paula MacGregor idea for the project was inspired by the Sharon Owens poem Dangerous Coats.

DANGEROUS COATS    by Sharon Owens

Someone clever once said
Women were not allowed pockets
In case they carried leaflets
To spread sedition
Which means unrest
To you & me
A grandiose word
For commonsense
Fairness
Kindness
Equality
So ladies, start sewing
Dangerous coats
Made of pockets & sedition


These 18th century pockets could hold many a secret bits as well as leaflets I wonder if this is the type of pocket Sharon Owens thought of when she penned the poem.

To take a look at the size of the 18th century style pockets follow the link to Jenny LaFleur's designs https://www.jennylafleur.com/precis/2013.001.htm

Anyway you can view the various types of pockets participants are making on the Dangerous Pockets Project website and Facebook page at the links above.  I first read about it Sunday in the current issue of Be Creative Workbox magazine

Perhaps I will make something similar to the little pocket purses I made a few years ago using an old pockets from worn out jean.  I have several pockets from clothing found at thrift stores or have worn out, I usually cut off  the pockets and buttons and a square ot two of the fabric if not too worn out or stained. 
Though I like the idea of making a pocket from fabrics in my stash that have been waiting for just the right project.  All will be revealed once I am moved and the project is underway.



1 comment:

  1. Deb: Very interesting post, I love the buttons, so sweet, thank-you for the link.
    I just love the Drum Lady, very classy.
    Thank-you for the other link-ups.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete