Pages

Sunday, May 29, 2022

Stitching on a Sunday, Fallen Branches and a Pear Tree.

 It's been a busy couple of weeks with all sorts of things going on.  I'm happy to say I have hired a new lawn service to cut my grass.  I interviewed the company on Thursday and they were kind enough to point out a fallen tree branch in my yard.




Luckily it didn't fall on the house but a bit too close for comfort so this week I will be looking for a tree service to either trim the branches or to remove the tree entirely, which I would like to avoid.

The photo above shows where the branch snapped off and fell from, quite high up. Unfortunately one of the problems with the Water Oak tree is branches tend to drop off and trees have been known to just fall over.  Before we moved here our previous house had a water oak in front of the house and branches fell off all the time.  I would never hear them fall but when I would step outside there it would be lying in the driveway.  I didn't hear this branch fall and I have no idea when it fell. 

On a positive note the new lawn service cut the grass Saturday and did a wonderful job trimming around the boulders along the driveway.  So that's one thing out of the way that needed to be done.  One other positive note is the pear tree has quite a few pears on the branches.

I am quite happy to see so many fruits, though I didn't really have much hope for them because whoever planted the tree never gave the location much thought because the big oak tree and surrounding trees have blocked out most of the sunlight, however, in the autumn my neighbors cut down most of the trees in their yard so more sunlight finally reached the tree, and I gave it a bit of fertilizer in the autumn. 

So all those lovely March flowering branches gave way to several pears appearing on the branches.


All the leaves have now been blown away by the lawn service and the flagstone now shows through, eventually I will snap a new photo.  I am hoping once the branches of the oak tree are trimmed more light will get to the pear tree and next year she will fair much better.

I found some time to do some hand embroidery, I worked on both the Moon Flow and the Greenman pieces.

On the Moon Flow piece I stitched more of the light colored moon phases. While stitching them I noticed I didn't finish the little flowers in the center, I stitched the stems and leaves but forgot all about the flowers.

On the Greenman piece I stitched more of the Ivy leaves, not much progress but those few leaves took me more than an hour to stitch, but any progress is progress and I will be stitching more on the greenman today for slow Sunday stitching

I will be linking my post over at Kathy's Quilts today https://kathysquilts.blogspot.com/2022/05/slow-sunday-stitching_0384173884.html

This week I drove over to the local library to pick up a book waiting for me, Traveling with Pomegranates by Sue Monk Kidd and Ann Kidd Taylor, it's a large print book so I can see what I am reading.  Too often I pick up a book and the print is so light or so small I can't see it even with my glasses on so when a large print book is available I check it out.

It's been a very quiet Memorial Day weekend so far, the weather was supposed to me lots of rain, but it came early on Friday and rained for several hours non-stop, tomorrow is Memorial Day here in the United States, the unofficial start of Summer.



 






3 comments:

  1. You are right, hand stitching is slow, so any progress is good progress! Your two stitching pieces look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I hear you about not wanting to cut down your tree! Our nectarine tree has grown quite tall making it difficult to reach the fruit. This year we will be pruning it. Your Moon Flow and Greenman pieces are coming out so pretty – especially with all the detail in the latter! I also am finding I enjoy large print books!

    ReplyDelete