Pages

Sunday, October 23, 2022

Sunday Slow Stitching and a Few Good Books

 October is moving so quickly I can barely keep up.  Lately it seems harder to carve out some me time to sit and stitch or read a book.  This time of the year keeps me busy with the online shops and as the weeks go by I will have less time for me until the New Year, which is what I signed on to when I decided to leave corporate America and do my own thing.  Mostly I have no regrets but as I get older I often wonder how long will I be able to keep up the pace.

A few weeks ago I attended a Broom Making workshop at the Ft. King National Historic Landmark Park, here is the broom I made.


After Hurricane Ian passed through we lost another tree so while my son was cutting up the tree I grabbed a piece of branch that will make either a great broom stick or a walking staff, right now it's in the garage curing for 6 months.  I enjoyed the workshop so much I just want to make another. 

Today is Sunday, the air was crisp and cool for my walk and after I post this and read a few blogs I'm going to enjoy some slow stitching on my greenman piece, I left off with my needle poking through a few days ago.
I haven't made very much progress since my last post of him but I did complete the Moon Crystals stitch along piece. I made a few changes to the moth, I didn't add the sequins and didn't do the Turkey stitch.  I'm not really a sequins in my embroidery person and I didn't much care for the Turkey stitch. This is no reflection on the designer, her work is beautiful but I have to go with what I like so I used the satin stitch in place of the turkey stitch, in the photo its the pink floss below the head and the sequins.
I did use the beads in the moth and the crescent moon, the large pink space should have been sequins. 
Here is the finished piece which need the stitch and wash product washed off which I will do later today. Overall I love how it turned out and I discovered I love doing the whipped backstitch and the chain stitch. Now to decide to put it in a hoop or make a pillow.
I have a few projects that need to be transferred to fabric so I can get started on them, for now I just want to stitch.  I am linking my post to Kathy's Quilts here, check out what other talented bloggers are slow stitching  https://kathysquilts.blogspot.com/2022/10/slow-sunday-stitching_01031266711.html
I picked up two books from the library yesterday while out running errands, I also returned 3 books. I will start reading The Girl Who Wrote in Silk this evening when my fingers are too sore to stitch any longer.
I started to read The Very Secret Society of Irregular Witches last night, As Silly as it sounds while I am 
reading the book its as though someone is narrating it as I read, almost like the narration of the Queens of Mystery series, I can practically hear the voice in my head as I read. 

As I mentioned this week has been fairly busy with the online shops, especially after an Instagram influencer posted about one of out most popular products and sales went through the roof, at Amazon we sold more than 200 in an hour and from the home shop 75 one day and 70 the next and sales just keep coming. It's exhausting having so much to pack so early in the holiday season.

This is the object I am talking about, an embossed faux leather coffin shaped wallet, we sell them year round but at Halloween time we can barely keep them in stock.  

We are grateful to all our customers that have kept us in business all of these years it's nice to know the products we carry have a wide following. I'm just happy it's the wallet that's selling so fast and not the matching purse.
In closing I will leave you with a few autumn poems


I dream of colorful autumn leaves filling the branches of trees.


2 comments:

  1. Your broom is amazing .I have always wanted to learn how to make brooms. Well done. Your embroidery is beautiful as well. I hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever you, making a broom. Will you be using it, or will it be a display piece? I'm sure brooms like this were made in households many years ago.

    ReplyDelete