Pages

Thursday, May 23, 2024

May is Flying By, What's Been Going on Here.

 It's just been a crazy month of busy days and being under the weather fighting off a virus or flu that didn't want to let go.  

Then twice this month in stopping myself from falling I hurt my back and knees, how is it when you stop yourself from falling you seem to injure yourself more.  This last save happened Monday when I slipped in the shower, I twisted to grab the windowsill to keep my footing and I felt a snap from left knee to left hip.  I can't begin to tell you how painful it was but today I am moving about much better than I was on Monday.  Last week I was avoiding a fall when I stepped on one of the cats toys and bang the same snap on the same side.  I would let myself fall if I knew I wouldn't break anything.  

So while letting the pain work itself out I did get a few things stitched. Last night I did the May block for the Kathy Schmitz Woven Wreaths SAL, I have changed the stitches to what I am comfortable with.


My pieces for the K3n.clothtales SAL has opened my creativity in so many ways, I am really embracing the slow stitching style, the raw edges and the wonkiness.  This week, 21 is Boro Style which I actually love the big stitches. 
Week 20 had us doing a Desert Island trip where we could only bring 8 items for out project. My piece is quite simple mainly because I was under the weather all week. I only brought 4 items, but a 5th will be another piece of fabric to mount my piece. The items I brought are: 1 piece of fabric, 1 needle, 1 length of 6 strand DMC variegated floss ( I used 2 strands for each spiral), and 1 pair of scissors. The spirals were stitched freehand and the closeup is to show the wonky stitches. 

Week 19 was based on Kintsugi the Japanese art of repairing broken ceramic with gold, here is my take on Kintsugi in stitching. For this piece it's a metaphor for grief it exemplifies the way that healing our broken places allows us to emerge from darkness stronger and more beautiful. Grief joins our broken places with our strong places; it unites our tangled past with our present.
Week 18 was the Pocket or better said Women's pockets,  I won't list all the things I did wrong constructing this piece, but it's a pocket made from an old bed sheet and bits of fabric scraps. It holds a small personal token inside along with a copy of Sharon Owens poem Dangerous Coats. 

 Earlier in the month The little Moon gazing hare is completely stitched.

The Summer Goddess will be put aside for a bit until I decide if I want to add anything more to her once I finish stitching and adding the bird which for it's small size is taking forever to do.


The weather has been a mixed bag of actual Spring days during the early part of the month, very little rain and this week quite hot, summer comes to central Florida early and we will stay hot now through mid October.  Our rainy or wet season starts on the 27th and Hurricane season starts on June 1st. 


The hibiscus continues to bloom these large flowers nearly every day.  The milkweed has rebloomed and those buds are now small yellow flowers the butterflies visit daily.  
The birds continue to visit the feeders and I have been visited by two fat squirrels that love to hang from the feeders.  A racoon stopped by once and trying to shoo it away was comical but I haven't seen it since.  No photos of the critters.

No comments:

Post a Comment