Pages

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Stitching Slowly Along on this Cold, Sunny Sunday

This week has been spent braving the cold temps, pouring rain and gray cloudy days, the perfect days for stitching a quilt block or working on a hand embroidery piece and spending more time then I should have online ordering patterns and floss for hand embroidery.

Since this is Sunday, let me show you what I'll be stitching today, Block four of the Hocuspocusville Quilt is coming along at a nice steady pace.
block 4
I did take a break earlier in the week to hand piece block number two for the Project 48 quilt. 

I am hesitant to make block three, it requires cutting of center to give it a wonky look. Sigh! I do that enough without trying.

Earlier this week I finally put together another jeans pocket bag, this one I made for myself to use roaming flea markets and festivals where I don't want to lug around my purse. 
front
I found the jeans with zipper pockets at a thrift shop a few years ago, I used the legs for tote bags and saved the pockets. 
back
I have made several of these bags over the years and others, when browsing flea markets I always keep my eye out for jeans with embroidery on the legs or pockets which make great purses once cut apart and sewn back together. 
lining
I have been making them for years through trial and error each one comes out better and a little different, now there are quite a few tutorials online.

These are the new patterns I ordered, the first is panel number 2 of the Mystery of the Salem Witches' Quilt Guild from Crab-apple Hill, I decided I am going to start tracing these onto fabric when I have all three embroidery panels, I don't know when panel three will be available I'm thinking in the springtime.
panel pattern number 2

Speaking of Spring, I ordered this sweet little hand embroidery kit from Chickadee Hollow, it comes pre-colored so all I have to do is add the embroidery and other embellishments. There is one for each season.

I also bought the first kit in the Bag Ladies series, also a pre-colored block and if I like how it turns out you can bet I will be ordering more 

I have to be sure I can stitch through the panel without any difficulty. Either way the panel would just make a sweet block for a quilt with or without hand embroidery. There are 10 blocks to the series. Here is a link to Chickadee Hollow I found the website last week while searching for Cosmo floss I needed for another project.  www.chickadeehollowdesigns.com

Well its time for me to go check out what other bloggers are hand stitching this week, I'll be posting over at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching. 

3 comments:

  1. You purchased some nice patterns. I love your Hocuspocusville block and the jean pocket purse is adorable. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be in stitches for a while with all of those projects! Have fun stitching today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness so many wonderful projects to stitch... love the bag lady!

    ReplyDelete