Pages

Sunday, November 21, 2021

November and the Stitching is Good

 November is moving through the days so quick my head is spinning.  Thanksgiving is on the horizon and then straight on decking the halls for the Christmas and winter holiday season.  

Running a home based business for 5 online shops is crazy busy this time of year, usually things get hectic in the last week of October straight on to the New Year, this year however with delays in unloading cargo ships things have picked up at the end of September and has kept at a steady pace.  

As busy as I have been I have had time to get in some stitching, the hand embroidery for my October goddess Elen of the Ways is complete:

I am currently working on the November goddess, Baba Yaga:

If you aren't familiar with Baba Yaga here are some interesting bits on Baba Yaga the ‘old woman’ of autumn was called Baba by the Slavic inhabitants of eastern Europe, Boba by the Lithuanians. This seasonal divinity lived in the last sheaf of grain harvested in a year, and the woman who bound it would bear a child that year. Baba passed into Russian folk legend as the awesome Baba Yaga, a witchlike woman who rowed through the air in a mortar, using a pestle for Her oar, sweeping the traces of Her flight from the air with a broom

Here is a image I like the heavily costumed Baba Yaga below with all those lovely charms hanging from her shawls.

My Baba Yaga reminds me of this image below by Rima Staines not elaborately dress though which would have been fun to stitch.  
I did draw a second image of Baba Yaga in her flying mortar and pestle but the proportions didn't look right so I nixed it.  
Back in June of 2016 I took part in a Goddess a Week challenge and created this Baba Yaga for week 2.

She was hand embroidered and crayon tinted on white on white print cotton fabric. I am linking my post here at Kathy Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching https://kathysquilts.blogspot.com/2021/11/slow-sunday-stitching_01273866207.html


When I'm not stitching I have been reading Goddess Bless by Sirona Knight and will start Gateway to the Modern Crone by Jude Downes this week.


I will leave you with a bit of humor




4 comments:

  1. That last photo is fabulous....and very funny! I concur with the cat! Love the face on your Baby Yaga!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I was very pleased with her face.

      Delete
  2. Your Goddesses both look good. I love the picture of Baba Yaga with the apple. I was fascinated by the stories when I was a child. So different to the English tales. If you know any children I would recommend getting them a book called The House with the Chicken Legs. It's a good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I just bought The House with the Chicken Legs book for my niece.

      Delete