Pages

Sunday, January 14, 2024

Mid-January and Slow Sunday Stitching

 It's just about the middle of January and the weather here in Florida has been a mixed bag of rain storms, sunny days and windy days so fierce I could barely stay on my feet.  What happened to our dry season?

On the up side of all the rain as I have been enjoying the down time with warm cups of tea and some slow stitching which is always a good thing.

For 2024, I wanted to do something a little bit different with my hand embroidery so I signed on for a few stitch a longs. The K3nclothtales stitch along runs weekly for the entire year. It's the first time I am doing this type of stitching which to me is a more meditative kind of stitching, we are only 2 weeks into the SAL and I love it.

The first week was weaving fabric strips together on a base fabric and stitching them to the base. I used a basic running stitch horizontally and vertically and then added a stitched word mend which is my word of the year for 2024. I blogged about that yesterday.

Kathryn of K3n cloth tales mentioned Community and the weaving of cloth and stitch and how it brings us together as a community.


It took me a while to get the feel of stitching and having the raw edges tattering about which I love but never thought this type A personality could live with it without putting in a hemmed edge.  Here is the YouTube link for the video of what is needed for the SAL.
https://www.youtube.com/@k3n.clothtales

The week two piece is darkness and light, which seems appropriate for a winter piece as the daylight hours are shorter in the winter and darkness closes in before we know it. I love this piece, as simple as it is it brought me immense joy stitching it.  I made my circle a bit bigger than I had originally planned
so filling in all those seed stitches took a bit of time. I actually finished this late morning after my walk. I chose black and white at first than decided on the brown and light beige fabrics. I watch the video though before I start, I actually finished the first weeks piece on Saturday night  and added the Mend piece this morning. Tomorrow begins week 3, I can't wait to see what's next.  

Now that the second week piece is done I will continue stitching of the Goddess Airmid piece, which I was working on before Christmas. 
Yesterday I ordered 2 new patterns from Crabapple Hill Studio, Block 2 the Queen of Halloween and Block 3 Violet Soggybottom  for the Block of the Month Witch's Faire quilt.  ( Somehow I missed the 1st block which I am sure will be on the website eventually).


I have loved Crabapple Hill studio patterns since the first one I stitched back in 2014 in a hand embroidery class offered at a local quilt shop, it was a relatively simple pattern but at the time I had just rediscovered my love of hand embroidery and discovered an entire world of embroidery stitches that were new to me.  During the short time the class ran I was introduced to the works of Meg Hawkey of Crabapple Hill Studios, Gail Pan, Kathy Schmitz, Bird Brain designs and Blueberry Hill.  
Over the years I have discovered many designers, have amassed a large collection of patterns and started deigning my own pieces. This year I plan to pull out some of the patterns I have purchased over the years and start stitching them.  I am adding my post today over at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching. https://kathysquilts.blogspot.com/2024/01/slow-sunday-stitching.html



3 comments:

  1. Hello Deb. I am happy to hear you are enjoying your stitching. I like the "seed" stitches in your light and dark piece.
    I too am a fan of Crab Apple Hill designs and have several patterns. I have learned that they take me forever to do! I tend to only dabble in it a little each year in between piecing quilts. I like to have some stitching available for long car rides and being in places away from my sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your weekly stitch along looks interesting, wonder what else you will be creating?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb - good for you try something "out of your comfort zone". And how rewarding to find that you are enjoying it! I love the whimsical look of the Crabapple designs! Have a terrific week!

    ReplyDelete